MUMBAI: The animated comedy Kung Fu Panda 2 has left its peer Rio behind to become the highest grossing Hollywood animation films in India in its opening weekend.
As was reported by Businessofcinema.com, Kung Fu Panda 2’s grossed Rs 55.18 million (Rs 5.5 crore) in India in its opening weekend. The movie was released across 146 screens with 127 prints across India.
As far as English animation films released in India are concerned, Rio was until now the highest grossing film with gross box office collections of Rs 26.21 million (Rs 2.6 crore) in its opening weekend. The movie was released across 217 screens with 178 prints.
The Top Weekend Opening for Animation Films in India are as follows:
1) Kung Fu Panda 2 – Rs 55.18 million (Rs 5.5 crore)
2) Rio – Rs 26.21 million (Rs 2.6 crore)
3) Shrek Forever After – Rs 24.37 million (Rs 2.44 crore)
4) Ice Age 3 – Rs 21 million (Rs 2.1 crore)
5) Toy Story 3 – Rs 18.32 million (Rs 1.8 crore)
Kung Fu Panda 2’s voice cast includes Jack Black (Po), Angelina Jolie (Tigress), Lucy Liu (Viper), Seth Rogen (Mantis), Dustin Hoffman (Shifu), Jackie Chan (Monkey) and David Cross (Crane).