BOX OFFICE: Top 5 Super Hits of 2012
The year 2012 brought Bollywood lovers a mix of suspense, romance, comedy, action, horror, drama, sequels, remakes and comebacks. Audiences were surely mesmerized by the unique concepts. But what truly determines a success of a film is of course the collections at the ticket counter.
Here’s a look at the films that made the elite club at the box office in 2012.
5. Son Of Sardaar: ‘Son Of Sardaar’, or more popularly called ‘SOS’, directed by Ashwni Dhir is an action comedy, whose story revolved around two families who have bad blood between them and how through a series of incidents they are forced to come together. The movie received a mix response from the audience – there were viewers who either really loved the film, or really hated it. Starring Ajay Devgn, Sonakshi Sinha and Sanjay Dutt the film was criticized for being exhausting, but it clearly made a statement by making over Rs 100 crores at the box office.
4. Housefull 2 and Barfi!: Directed by Sajid Khan, produced by Sajid Nadiadwala, ‘Housefull 2′ was a sequel to the hugely popular ‘Housefull’ (2010). Like the name of the movie, the star cast was quite a handful – Akshay Kumar, Asin Thottumkal, John Abraham, Jacqueline Fernandez in the lead roles, whilst Ritesh Deshmukh, Zarine Khan, Shreyas Talpade, Shazahn Padamsee, Randhir Kapoor, Rishi Kapoor, Mithun Chakraborty and Boman Irani were in supporting roles. The movie crossed Rs 100 crores in the first 3 weeks itself.
Barfi! starring Ranbir Kapoor, Priyanka Chopra and south star Ileana D’Cruz turned out to be quite the favourite in 2012. Directed by Anurag Basu, the movie was even sent out as India’s official entry for the Best Foreign Language Film nomination for the 85th Academy Awards, but it could not make it too far in the race. The approximate domestic box office total was in the range of Rs 110 crores.
3. Agneepath and Jab Tak Hai Jaan: While one is a remake, the other is the swan song of legendary filmmaker Late Yash Chopra. Both films had great actors, and both created magic on the big screen.
A Dharma Productions movie, ‘Agneepath’ brought back the hearty story of Vijay Deenanath Chauhan and it was Karan Johar’s way of paying a tribute to his father Yash Johar. This time though, the role of Vijay Chauhan was played by Hrithik Roshan, Kancha Cheena by Sanjay Dutt, and Kaali by Priyanka Chopra. A new character Rauf Lala was played by Rishi Kapoor. Of course who can Katrina Kaif making the nation dance to her ‘Chikni Chameli’.
Written and produced by Aditya Chopra and directed by Late Yash Chopra, ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ saw Shah Rukh Khan in the avatar of a fauji romancing Katrina Kaif and Anushka Sharma. Shah Rukh played two different roles as the same character – one of a charmer and other of a tough army official.
The approximate domestic box office total for both films was in the range of Rs 120 crores.
2. Rowdy Rathore: Another South-Indian remake starring Akshay Kumar along with Sonakshi Sinha, the movie was about a hero with super human strength, capable of breaking through walls, and dancing like no one is watching. ‘Rowdy Rathore’ gained a lot of appreciation from the audience. The approximate domestic box office total was in the range of Rs 140 crores.
1. Ek Tha Tiger: The list cannot be complete without a Salman Khan movie! After hits like ‘Bodyguard’ and ‘Ready’, this Eid release garnered massive box office collections of Rs 32 crore on the first day itself. ‘Ek Tha Tiger’, directed by Kabir Khan and produced by Yash Raj Films, had Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif in the lead roles and was about a RAW agent named ‘Tiger’ who falls in love while on a mission. The approximate domestic box office total was in the range of Rs 190 crores.
Photos: Bollywood’s Gliteratti At Karan Johar’s Residence
Photos: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan Stuns In Red
Photos: Shilpa Shetty At Goa Wedding Fest Launch