TMK, which is directed by Farah Khan, stars Akshay Kumar and Katrina Kaif and will release alongside Ajay Devgn and Kajol’s Toonpur Ka Superhero on 24 December, 2010.
The buzz around TMK can be attributed to three main factors:
- The now popular item song – Sheila Ki Jawaani featuring Katrina Kaif;
- The hit pair of Akshay Kumar and Katrina Kaif
- Farah Khan‘s directorial venture post films like Main Hoon Na and Om Shanti Om and that too sans Shah Rukh Khan.
However, as per the buzz doing the rounds of the industry, it is unlikely that TMK will inch past Dabangg’s opening weekend collections.
Salman Khan’s Dabangg holds the record for the highest ever opening weekend net collections. In the first three days, Dabangg collected Rs 485 million (Rs 48.5 crore), thus beating 3 Idiots’ previous opening weekend record of Rs 400 million (Rs 40 crore) by a large margin.
As per estimates by Businessofcinema.com, TMK’s opening weekend net collections should be in the range of approximately Rs 400 – 440 million (Rs 40 – 44 crore). This is primarily due to two reasons:
- The decibel levels around Dabangg were much higher than what is being observed around TMK;
- While Dabangg saw a solo release on the occasion of Eid; TMK is releasing along with Toonpur Ka Superhero and will thus end up sharing at least some amount of screen space.
Some of the other big hits of 2010 have been Golmaal 3, Rajneeti and Housefull, which saw opening weekend net collections of Rs 350 million (Rs 35 crore), Rs 335 million (Rs 33.5 crore) and Rs 320 million (Rs 32 crore) respectively.
While Akshay Kumar has had the most number of films released in 2010 for an A-list star, it is that one big superhit that has eluded the actor. Will TMK be that much required adrenalin shot for Akki? Well, it’s only a matter of wait and watch!
Till then… Groove to Sheila Ki Jawaani this X-Mas! We, at Businessofcinema.com, wish you a Merry Christmas!! Ho! Ho! Ho!