The highly anticipated fantasy series ‘Game of Thrones’ returned today with its 6th season and it had everything we needed- drama, horror, humour, action and well Jon Snow. Usually, GoT season premieres are more about building various storylines than giving major shocks. But, we are loving how Season 6 unfolded right from the first episode and well it looks like one heck of a season.
Brace yourselves because we are about to break down the season 6 premiere of ‘Game of Thrones’.
- The episode started in Castle Black right where we left off last season. Everyone, Jon Snow is dead for real. Jon‘s direwolf Ghost was seen wailing for his master and basically summed up the entire fandom in those moments. Ser Davos hears this and comes out only to find out that their Lord Commander is dead. With the help of a few of the Jon‘s supporters in Night’s Watch, they take his body inside to guard it against Ser Alliser Thorne. They know he and his men killed Jon and all they want is to fight back but can’t because they hardly have any men to fight. On the other hand, Thorne announces to all the brothers that Jon is dead and basically rubbing it in everyone’s face that he was a threat to Night’s Watch. Some retaliate but in the end had to be by his side if they did not want to die. Also, the Red Woman aka Melisandre comes to meet Ser Davos only to find out that Jon is dead. She looked confused and sad. She says, ‘I saw him in the flames fighting at Winterfell’ and basically confused everyone with that line. What did she mean by this?
- We were waiting to see how the Winterfell story would unfold since we last saw Sansa Stark and Theon Greyjoy escaping the Boltons and jumping off that cliff. Well, you don’t get to see that part all and we might never know how they even survived that big cliff jump. Anyway, we see Ramsay Bolton mourns the death of his lover Myranda who was killed last season. He also gets a warning that if he doesn’t provide an heir with Lady Sansa then he will lose his throne forever. Ramsay has sent his hounds and men to track down Sansa and Theon. Running through the cold woods and walking through the ice cold water, they make it to the other side only to be caught by Ramsay‘s people. Fear not because Brienne of Tarth and Pod return to save Sansa. They kill everyone and Brienne offers her services to Sansa again. She accepts her request and it looks like we are ready for the war.
- Jaime Lannister returns to Kings Landing with his dead daughter Myrcella. To our shock, Cersei actually responds to her daughter’s death exactly opposite than he expected. She brings up Maggy the Frog’s prophecy from last season about her kids’ fate. Jaime rubbishes it and decides to take revenge.
- Margery is still in the cell and Faith Militant are still trying to make her confess her sins.
- Dorne arc is something we had not seen in the trailers. To make it short, Prince Doran meets Lady Ellaria and her daughter Tyene. He receives a note that reads that Myrcella is dead. Before he could blame Ellaria for killing her, she stabs him with a knife and his daughter kills his two men. Later, his son Prince Trystane gets murdered too.
- Tyrion Lannister and Lord Varys are still in Meereen trying to figure out why Queen Daenerys Targaryen never returned. Their ships are burnt too.
- In Braavos, last we saw Arya Stark losing her eyesight. Well, it seems like she has left Jaqen H’ghar’s place and is now a blind beggar. She gets called out by House of Black and White’s resident Mean Girl tormenter, the Waif, to fight her but Arya can’t fight at all.
- Grasslands show Ser Jorah and Dario are in search of Daenerys Targaryen and they find out that she has been taken by the Dothrakis. After taking her as a prisoner, the Dothrakis find out that she was the wife of Khal Drogo. Their leader Khal Moro assure her that she won’t be sexually abused but finds our that she will have to live out the rest of her life in the widows’ Temple of the Dosh Khaleen.
- We come back to Castle Black and Jon is still dead. Ser Thorne wants to make an agreement with Ser Davos. Later, Davos tells his men that they just want to kill the remaining Jon’s supporters. But, he later revealed that the only person who can help them is the Red Woman. He stated that people have no idea what she is capable. Ah, well!
- The episode was named ‘Red Woman’ for a reason. Since the beginning, everyone was glued to the screens just to find out what was the biggest shocking revelations. In the end, we saw a rather vulnerable Melisandre sitting when she walks towards her mirror. She sees herself in it and removes her dress. Nudity, we did see that coming! Getting ready to go to bed, she removes her necklace and cut to next shot, her true look is revealed. The Red Woman is actually really really old. That shows what kind of magic this woman is capable of. Am I the only one who was this shocked after seeing her real look?
We can’t wait to see what Game of Thrones season 6 has in store for us. The show airs every Sundays on HBO in the US and will be available on Hotstar and Star World Premiere every Tuesdays.