Mumbai: Tagline Guru released its survey of the Top 100 American movie taglines. According to a survey of 500 American advertising and branding professionals, the tagline used to publicize the film, Alien – In space no one can hear you scream – was ranked number one out of more than 300 submitted nominations.
According to Tagline Guru president Eric Swartz, "More credit should be given to the taglines used in movie advertising campaigns. A good tagline can create buzz, mold public opinion, and strengthen a film’s overall appeal."
Swartz continues, "The goal of this survey was to discover which movie taglines are the most creative, original, and memorable, and whether they demonstrate an ability to influence popular language and culture."
The Top 10 American Movie Taglines:
1. In space no one can hear you scream – Alien (1979)
2. Houston, we have a problem – Apollo 13 (1995)
3. They’re back – Poltergeist II (1986)
4. We are not alone – Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
5. Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water – Jaws 2 (1978)
6. Who ya gonna call? – Ghostbusters (1984)
7. A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away… – Star Wars (1977)
8. Be afraid. Be very afraid – The Fly (1986)
9. The list is life – Schindler’s List (1993)
10. Earth. It was fun while it lasted – Armageddon (1998)
"Contemporary taglines are typically more clever and tongue-in-cheek than older ones, which rely on superlatives and dramatic clichés," said Swartz.
He added, "Sophisticated movie audiences tend to respond favorably to taglines that don’t take themselves too seriously, and reveal some surprising or humorous universal truth."