2016 turned out to be an excellent year for Bollywood films, some turned out to be winners at box office simultaneously receiving praise from critics.
While some failed to make a mark, but this is how its supposed to be. Every film has its own destiny.
2016 is the year which has given Bollywood some of the best movies. A sports biopic on the heroic tale of a wrestler, a breathtaking courtroom drama, and the untold story of the Captain cool and many others tops the list.
Here is the list of the Bollywood films which have been applauded by audiences and as well left the critics stupefied.
1. Dangal – It would be a cardinal sin if Dangal is not there on the top of the list, the Aamir Khan starrer has touched the nation’s soul and has certainly proved that ‘Is Desh Ki Choriyaan, Chore se Kam nahi hai’. Aamir’s portrayal of Mahavir Singh Phogat has left the audiences stunned. Aamir’s and the performance of the rest of the cast along with the gilt-edged direction of Nitesh Tiwari has already made Dangal one of the most amazing film to watch.The film has been declared the as the biggest hit of the year. The film has even beaten demonetisation and has raked it fantastic collections on its first day.
2. Pink – One of the most acclaimed courtroom drama of Bollywood. Pink was declared hit as soon as it got released. Thanks to the amazing performance of Amitabh Bachchan. Pink is one of the movie’s which has directly attacked existing feudal mindset of a majority of India, where men and women are judged on basis of gender. Where Men are held superior to women and if the man happens to be from a powerful family, then the fight for justice for the women gets really tough.The film was loved by the audiences and the critics, and also performed better at the box office.
3. MS Dhoni: The Untold Story – One of the most greatly admired movies of 2016 ‘MS Dhoni: The Untold Story’ has been loved by the audiences across all quarters and has been declared as one of the celebrated biopics of 2016. The untold journey of the Captain cool Ms Dhoni had struck an instant chord with people.
Right from the start, Sushant Singh Rajput too proved his caliber and alongside, also proved that he was the right choice to be cast as Captain Cool in ‘M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story’, as the audiences were pleased such justice was done to the biopic. Dhoni too stood like Sushant’s backbone, which added confidence in people about the film, which truly turned out to be a masterpiece by Neeraj Pandey. The movie had a hit a sixer at the box office with the amazing collections the film raked in.
4. Neerja – ‘Neerja’ based on the life of ‘Neerja Bhanot’ youngest recipient of India’s highest peace time award for bravery, posthumously, the Ashok Chakra, touched the soul of the nation. It was not Sonam Kapoor’s performance but it was the story of Neerja’s bravery that had touched the nation. Of course, Sonam’s performance in the film was really incredible but people had associated more with the bravery of Neerja who had the guts and gumption to save so many people, sacrificing her own life for the sake of others at the ripe age of 22, simultaneously fighting and overcoming her failed marriage. The film was also applauded by the critics. Neerja turned out to be one of the most successful films of 2016 in terms of collections.
5. Udta Punjab – The groundbreaking film revolves around drug abuse in the affluent north Indian State of Punjab and how the youth there have succumbed to drugs. The film had won rave reviews from critics. The performances of Shahid Kapoor and Alia Bhatt had won the hearts of the masses. The Abhishek Chaubey directorial was even a winner at the box office.
6. Baaghi – Shraddha Kapoor and Tiger Shroff’s Baaghi had opened very well at the box office and everyone across India had loved the film. The film still dominates the television as the film is the second most viewed film on television. The jaw-dropping high octane action sequences of the film and the performances of Tiger Shroff and Shraddha Kapoor had made it one of the highest openers of 2016.
7. Housefull 3 – The high on comedy film directed by the Sajid-Farhad had successfully made the audience burst out into laughter. The film was also successful in terms of collections as the film had grossed more than 100 crores easily in the first few days of its release.
Other films like Nil Battey Sanaate, Raman Raghav 2.0, Wazir had won the hearts of audiences too.
8. Sultan: Salman Khan’s Sultan, which was based on a wrestling, is one of the best films of the year. The not only impressed the audience but also broke many records at the Box Office. The film opened to a packed house and advance booking had already created a history at the Box Office.