BR Films picks 73% stake in animation company


    MUMBAI: BR Films has picked up majority stake in newly set up animation and visual effects studio Pix-n-Trix. BR Films will infuse an initial investment of Rs 700 million (Rs 70 crore) over a span of two years, which includes buying the company’s majority shares and future investment for infrastructure and equipment.

    The current board of directors includes BR Films head Ravi Chopra, who holds a 73 per cent stake in the company. Additionally, BR Films CEO Sanjay Bhutiani and Pix-n-Trix’s Biju Dhanapalan will hold the remaining 27 per cent stake, which will be divided equally between them.

    Pix-n-Trix worked closely with Chopra on an assignment for his forthcoming film Bhootnath. After assessing this and a few more past projects, Chopra found it wise to buy stake in the company. “This comes as a natural call to our business especially after establishing a foothold in films, television and ads,” says Chopra.

    Currently the Pix-n-Trix team is working on BR Films’ Bhootnath and character development of 3D animation film Hum Paanch. This will be followed by their own production Mahabharat, which will also require visual effects to a great extent.

    “Apart from working for BR Films, this studio will also be outsourcing international projects and other Bollywood films and ad films. An international LA based firm, which is associated with a Hollywood studio will also be outsourcing their work to us,” informs Bhutiani.

    Going forward, the company also has plans to venture into gaming.

    Currently the team of Pix-n-Trix consists of 30 professionals. By 1 October, 2007 the company is looking at expanding to a team of 100 that will work out of a fully operational office in Filmcity.

    Related story:
    Ravi Chopra embarks on new animation film