Fresh medical issues have come up, says Amitabh Bachchan

Amitabh Bachchan
MUMBAI: Amitabh Bachchan says some new medical issues have emerged and his stay at the Seven Hills Hospital here may be further extended.

"I seek forgiveness… I will not be detailing any more… some fresh medical issues have come up, and I need to concentrate on the treatment now," the 69-year-old ailing actor posted on his blog Wednesday night.

The megastar was operated upon Saturday, and was due to be discharged from the hospital Monday. But following complaints of acute pain, doctors decided to keep him under observation at least till Friday or Saturday.

However, his blog update, which was unusually short and to the point, indicates his condition could be grave. The hospital authorities, when contacted by IANS, remained tight-lipped.

So far, his health hasn’t deterred him from blogging and tweeting to be in touch with his "extended family".

"Once you open Twitter, you just remain there… an obsession to read and know what others feel and say… Attention to laptop and mobile has increasingly become the ultimate yardstick for communication… To all those that communicate with me here, and wanting personal response… it is inconsiderate to ask me in this condition," he added.

Amitabh is staying at the fifth floor of the seven-star hospital, and is being well taken care of by doctors, his wife Jaya and daughter Shweta Nanda.

Amitabh Bachchan’s health problem started 30 years ago in Bangalore – when Puneet Issar hit him by mistake in his solar plexus while shooting for "Coolie" and it turned out to be nearly fatal.

After that he was reportedly attacked by the life-threatening disease Myasthenia Gravis, which is a neuromuscular ailment that causes muscle weakness.

Big B was back in the hospital in November 2005 — first he was admitted to Escorts Hospital in the capital and later shifted to Mumbai’s Leelavati Hospital with diverticulitis of the small intestine – it happens when the walls of the large or the small intestine tend to get weaker leading to an inflammation.

On Nov 30, 2005 he was operated on for the problem and he had to be in the hospital for two months.

Three years later, on his birthday, Oct 11, he complained of pain and rushed to the hospital. He was suspected to be suffering from incisional hernia, a recurring problem that has been troubling him since the near-fatal accident on the sets of "Coolie" in 1982.