Sanjay Dutt Walks Back To Prison, 16 May

0
150
Today Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt will surrender before a special TADA court in the city here. The Honorable Supreme Court of India upheld his conviction on March 21 in relation to the 1993 Bombay blasts case and directed Dutt to serve 42 months in jail.
Today Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt will surrender before a special TADA court in the city here. The Honorable Supreme Court of India upheld his conviction on March 21 in relation to the 1993 Bombay blasts case and directed Dutt to serve 42 months in jail.

MUMBAI: Today Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt will surrender before a special TADA court in the city here. The Honorable Supreme Court of India upheld his conviction on March 21 in relation to the 1993 Bombay blasts case and directed Dutt to serve 42 months for possessing illegal weapons.

The apex Court rejected the petition of one of Sanjay Dutt’s producers that he be given more time to finish his film. Last week, the court had also dismissed Dutt’s plea seeking a review of its judgement that upheld his conviction and sentence.

The actor is expected to be first sent to the Arthur Road Jail in Mumbai and then is expected to be shifted to Yerwada Jail in Pune. Reportedly, authorities at the Arthur Road Jail received an anonymous letter yesterday stating that there is a threat to the actor’s life in that prison.

On Tuesday, Dutt made an application before a special TADA judge, requesting permission to surrender himself before the authorities of either the Yerawada jail or Arthur Road Jail, instead of appearing in court first and then being escorted to prison. Dutt said that in the previous occasions he was arrested, he was “chased by the media and news reporters / journalists”.

He added that the vehicles ferrying him to jail went at a speed of more than 120 kmph and “any minor error of judgment by the driver can lead to a fatal accident which can cost him his life”.

Dutt’s statement before the special TADA court also said that the actor “apprehends a large presence of media and fans at the TADA court premises which increases security risks… as it becomes difficult to monitor each and every person present at the court site… and also causes a lot of inconvenience to the police and the court”. Later, the actor withdrew the application.

The police and jail authorities have promised adequate security for Sanjay Dutt, but said no special arrangements have been made for the celebrity at the Pune jail.

Sanjay Dutt has been convicted and sentenced for illegally possessing a 9 mm pistol and an AK-56 rifle that were part of a consignment of weapons and explosives brought to India for coordinated serial blasts that killed 257 people and injured over 700 in 1993.

Two men, Keri Adajania and Yusuf Nullwala, who destroyed the AK-56 rifle, will also surrender with Sanjay Dutt at 4 pm today.