Chopra firm on his stand against multiplexes

MUMBAI: One day before the movie releases across the country, there seems to be no respite in the war between the Lage Raho Munnabhai team and majority of the multiplexes. Until now multiplexes used to give producers between 25 – 48 per cent of the revenues earned. Producer Vidhu Vinod Chopra is determined to change that for his film by demanding a 50:50 revenue sharing ratio.

“Is it right that the multiplexes charge the audience Rs 200 and take 75 per cent of that, leaving me with just 25 per cent? All I am asking for is a 50 – 50 share in the revenue,” says Chopra.

Elaborating further, he says, “Generally in the first week the multiplexes take 52 per cent share of the total revenue, followed by 62 per cent in the second week and 75 per cent in the third week. Our team of almost 150 people has worked for more than three years to make Lage Raho Munnabhai and all we are asking for is a fair share.”

Out of the 70 multiplexes in the Bombay circuit, at least 20 are supportive of the move and these include Fame, Movietime, Velocity (Indore) and 17 multiplexes in Gujarat.It can be recalled that earlier this year, Yash Raj Films had taken up a similar stand during the release of Fanaa and the multiplexes had bowed to their demands.

Did the genesis of Vidhu’s act begin then? “I am not comparing myself to Yash Raj Films. Just the way one cannot compare my films to theirs, one also cannot compare my stand on this issue. I know that with this decision of mine, I will lose money but so will the multiplexes. However, I will feel the pinch more because I am not a millionaire.”

Director Rajkumar Hirani says, “As long as people love our film, I don’t care if we make less money. People saw Munnabhai M.B.B.S. in single screens theatres and they can see Lage Raho Munnabhai there too.”

Related Stories:
Lage Raho Munnabhai…But where? The stalemate continues 31 August 2006
Lage Raho Munnabhai…But where? 30 August 2006

About Author


Learn More →

Leave a Reply