“Insaanso Ka Dekho Tum Paagalpan Ke Aaye Nahi Inhe Chain Mujhase Ye Boli Main Raahon Mein Teri Apne Bichhaa Du Ye Nain…”
A memorable moment it was… The 3rd Chevrolet Star Global Indian Music Awards (GiMA) powered by LR Active took place at Yash Raj Studios, Mumbai. A mesmerizing evening filled with music and graced by the who’s who of the film and music fraternity. (SEE PHOTOS)
Saif Ali Khan and Parineeti Chopra hosted the event which featured performances by celebrated musicians and Bollywood stars including Shankar Mahadevan and his sons – Shivam and Siddarth, Sonu Niigaam, Sonkashi Sinha with Mika, Sukhwinder among others.
There was a special act dedicated to the musical maestro AR Rahman for completing 20 years in the industry, he was felicitated by none other than Yash Chopra. Renowned singers like Alka Yagnik, Hariharan, Udit Narayan, Naresh Iyer, Mohit Chauhan, Chitra, Sonu Niigaam honoured the young legend with their heart-warming performances to some of his chartbuster hits like ‘Dil Hai Chota Sa’, ‘Tu Hi Re’, ‘Chanda Re Chande Re’, ‘Mitwa’, ‘ Mehndi Hai Rachne Wali’, ‘Ru Ba Ru’, ‘Saathiya’, ‘Sadda Haq’ and ‘Jai Ho’.
Bollywood actress Sonakshi Sinha enthralled the audience by performing on her latest hit songs like ‘Go Go Govinda’, ‘Chinta Ta’ (along with Mika) and her upcoming movie ‘Son of Sardar’. Bollywood superstar Ajay Devgn joined her on-stage to groove on the title track of ‘Son of Sardar’.
Smt. Girija Devi (Indian Classical singer) was honored with the ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ while the ‘Global Indian Musician Award’ was bestowed upon music legend Pt. Jasraj.
In the Film Category, ‘Rockstar’ walked away with 6 GiMA Awards and there was a tie between Alka Yagnik & Babul Supriyo (Mone-Rob) and Sarvani Sen & Kaushiki Desikan (Yatra 2) for the Best Folk Album in the Non-film Category. The award for Best Carnatic Classical Album Instrumental in the Non Film Category went to noted musician Dr. L Subramanium. A total number of 10 awards were given out in the Film Category while 12 awards in the Non-film category.
At the GiMA Award 2012, the ever so humble AR Rahman said, “I was hinted out about the tribute but I did not realize that this will create such a big nostalgia. I have learnt a lot from all these singers who have touched my heart today. I still remember the day of my first concert in 1996 when most of the singers who sang today, came to watch me. I really thank GiMA for this. I am truly touched.”
Winners of The GiMA Awards
Non Film Category:
- Best Music Debut – Gulraj Singh (Ganaraj Adhiraj)
- Best Carnatic Classical Album (Instrumental) – Dr. L Subramaniam (Innovations)
- Best Carnatic Classical Album (Vocal) – Sanjay Subrahmanyan (Ellam Sivan Seyal)
- Best Hindustani Classical Album (Instrumental) – Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia (Flute Deity)
- Best Hindustani Classical Album (Vocal) – Ustad Rashid Khan (Classical Wonders of India)
- Best Fusion Album – Karsh Kale (Cinema)
- Best Folk Album – Alka Yagnik, Babul Supriyo (Mone Robe)
- Best Ghazal Album – Jagjit Singh, Gulzar (Tere Bayaan Ghalib)
- Best Devotional Album – Jagjit Singh (Nivedan)
- Best Pop/Rock Single – Bickram Ghosh feat. various artistes (Vande Mataram)
- Best Rock Album – Advaita (The Silent Sea)
- Best Pop Album – Papon (The Story So Far)
- Best Background Score – A R Rahman (Rockstar)
- Best Sound Engineer – Hentry Kuruvilla, PA Deepak, S.Sivakumar, TR Krishna Chetan (Rockstar)
- Best Film Album – A R Rahman (Rockstar)
- Best Music Director – A R Rahman (Rockstar)
- Best Playback Singer (Male) – A R Rahman, Mohit Chauhan, Javed Ali : Kun Faya Kun, A R Rahman, Mohit Chauhan: Naadan Parindey (Rockstar)