Mumbai: Rentrak Corporation announced the Top 20 Cross Platform Movies of 2006 and 2007. Metrics used to identify the top cross platform movies of 2006 and 2007 included box office ticket sales, 2006 and 2007 US brick and mortar DVD and VHS sales estimates, US brick and mortar and online DVD and VHS rental estimates, and On Demand performance based on Rentrak’s 26 reporting multiple system operators (MSOs).
Key findings include that 12 of the Top 20 overall movies were rated PG-13, and Action was the top performing genre type with eight titles in the Top 20, followed closely by Family content types as the second highest performing genre. All of the top five cross platform best performing feature motion pictures were either action or family titles.
Rentrak’s Top 20 Cross Platform Movies Of 2006 and 2007:
1. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (Disney): Action / PG-13
2. Transformers (Paramount): Action / PG-13*
3. Cars (Disney): Family / G
4. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End (Disney): Action / PG-13*
5. Shrek The Third (Paramount): Family / PG*
6. Spider-Man 3 (Sony): Action /PG-13*
7. Harry Potter and The Order Of The Phoenix (Warner Bros.): Sci-Fi / PG-13*
8. 300 (Warner Bros.): Action / R*
9. Night At The Museum (Fox): Comedy / PG
10. Happy Feet (Warner Bros.): Family / PG
11. Ratatouille (Disney): Family / G*
12. The Da Vinci Code (Sony): Drama / PG-13
13. The Bourne Ultimatum
(Universal): Action / PG-13*
14. X-Men: The Last Stand (Fox): Action / PG-13
15. Ice Age: The Meltdown (Fox) Family / PG
16. Over The Hedge (Paramount): Family / PG
17. Wild Hogs (Disney): Comedy / PG-13*
18. Talladega Nights: The Ballad Of Ricky Bobby (Sony): Comedy / PG-13
19. Superman Returns (Warner Bros.): Action / PG-13
20. The Pursuit of Happyness (Sony): Drama / PG-13
"Rentrak continues to provide easily accessible, timely and accurate measurement across its entire suite of Essentials services," said Advanced Media and Information Division (AMID) president Cathy Hetzel at Rentrak. "As we move into measuring linear television, we are taking a synergistic view by looking at movies and TV across multiple platforms in order to continue to provide business-defining analytics to Rentrak’s media measurement customers."
Metrics derived to compile the Top 20 Cross Platform Movies of 2006 and 2007 were collected by Rentrak’s innovative Essentials suite of data measurement and analytical services including: Rentrak Box Office Essentials, Rentrak Retail Essentials, Rentrak Home Video Essentials, Rentrak On Demand Essentials. The VOD window ranges from 147 days to 222 days after the theatrical release date, making it necessary to review a longer time frame to incorporate performance of a film across multiple windows.
Rentrak processes daily, census-level on demand data representing 51 million set-top boxes from 26 MSOs and more than 100 content provider partners and manages billions of transactions from more than 10,000 retail and 12,000 home video locations and 35,000 movie screens across North America and other countries around the world.